Howto: BIOS-Update per bootable USB-Stick
BIOS Update per bootable USB-Stick / Pendrive
A guidance how to create a bootable USB-Stick / Pendrive (incl. MS-DOS system files) to perform a BIOS update.
- The Laptop-/Mainboard-BIOS must support bootable USB-Sticks - which should apply to most of all modells which are not older than 4-5 years. If an USB-Stick was recognized during the boot process, the BIOS will integrate it as a removable drive, or as a normal drive.
The following tools are needed:
- Ultimate BIOS-Boot-Edition:
- usbdos (folder contains the 3 hidden! MS-DOS system files command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys)
- HP_USB_Disk_Storage_Format_Tool v2.2.3.exe (Hewlett-Packard's Format-Utility for USB-Sticks)
download  Ultimate BIOS-Boot-Edition - 5.9MB
- Flashtool - an executable program (.EXE as file extension), which programs the BIOS file onto the BIOS-Chip, and the BIOS file must be downloaded:
- Mainboard, bought in its original box: from the mainboard manufacturer website, or
- Notebook or brand PC: from the notebook/brand PC manufacturer website.
Both files must be specially designed for the DOS Operation system! If the manufacturer offers only files for Windows, you have to risk the BIOS update either directly under Windows, or you can re-program your old BIOS-Chip, or purchase a new, programmed BIOS-Chip.
Instruction to create a bootable USB-Stick
- Open the Ultimate BIOS-Boot-Edition and the folder boot_usb_stick.
- Copy the folder usbdos to your hard disk.
- Start the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.
- Select your USB-Stick under Device.
- Choose FAT-32 under File system and activate the check mark Create a DOS startup disk.
- Insert the path to your usbdos folder under using DOS system files located at:.
- Press the Start button and wait until the tool has formatted the USB-Stick and has copied the 3 system files.
- Rename the filename of your flashtool and the BIOS file, if they have more than 8 characters (not the file extension!).
- Copy your flashtool and the BIOS file onto the USB-Stick.
Starting the BIOS-Update from USB-Stick
First, go into your BIOS-Setup and change the Bootsequence to USB-Stick/Drive (search for an option like Bootsequence, First Boot Device, or something similarly).
Insert the USB-Stick and restart your PC. If all went well - MS-DOS starts and you can see the famous DOS-Prompt (C:\>).
Now you can start the BIOS update. Remember: it's a good idea to backup the old BIOS version.
biosflash 19.Nov.2016 22:59
Try UNetbootin to create a bootable Live USB drive with FreeDOS, or use another USB pendrive.
wooxt3r 19.Nov.2016 19:25
Hey, i get a constant and annoying error with the software, i select everything i need for the software to create my usb but when i hit "format" i am prompted with the message "Failed to format the drive."
bass@nline 9.Nov.2016 23:54
Read your instructions to the letter. I got a desktop custom built with the MSI H55M-P33 mobo (AMI BIOS ver. 1.9) and wanted to update to the 1.10 ver. which adds support for 2.2 TB+ HDD and other new feature. For me it worked. All good. 5 stars. Great walkthrough.
Ifeanyi Ifemeje Kingsley 17.Oct.2016 23:48
I was updating my the bios 209 for Asus Zen book N501JW when I lost power and mysystem basically black screen and keyboard not working. Please if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it
Rafat Siddique 3.Oct.2016 02:15
Hey my laptop having the frozen Dell logo problem and someone suggested me to run this usb Bios program.I wanted to know will it work?please give me the download link.Thank you
biosflash 21.Feb.2016 07:03
I think, you can answer yourself this question.
Bones 20.Feb.2016 17:32
Good day sir. You say to choose the device from which to boot. BUT what if i dont have no video output at all, but PC is runing?
M.Collins 16.Feb.2016 03:35
When I tried Winphlash within windows, I got a checksum variable (104) error. Tried a Rufus bootable flashdrive with Winphlash16, but the BIOS ROM file failed to open.
M.Collins 16.Feb.2016 00:27
So very close .. followed simple instructions, booted stick into dos, 'PHLASH16 6912.ROM' (Phoenix dos tool).... Utility ran nicely, but stalled on error 'cannot flash with memory managers loaded, HIMEM'. Don't know how to disable HIMEM, any suggestions?
biosflash 1.Dec.2015 06:33
Because the mainboard manufacturer provides these files in a special version for your mainboard model, and i'm no wizard.
BIOS Beeps BIOS Boot CD BIOS Boot Diskette BIOS Boot Logo BIOS Boot USB Stick BIOS Chip installation removal BIOS Chip Type list CMOS Reset BIOS ID BIOS Passwords BIOS Software Tools 3. Start the BIOS Update 4. BIOS Update failed? BIOS Update Howto BIOS Update HowTo 2. Choose Update method 1. Preparation BIOS Updates, Drivers, Manuals, etc. Online Shop Links to biosflash
ACER ASPIRE T180
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE
ACER ASPIRE E380
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
ACER ASPIRE L5100
ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4
ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA
ASUS M5A99X EVO
ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE
ASROCK 870 EXTREME3 R2.0
ASUS P8P67 LE
ASROCK X99 TAICHI
ASROCK Q170M VPRO+
ASROCK Q170M VPRO
ASROCK H170M PRO4S
ASROCK H170M PRO4
ASROCK H170 PRO4S
ASROCK H170 PRO4/HYPER
ASROCK H170 PRO4/D3
ASROCK H170 PRO4
ASROCK H170 COMBO
ASROCK H110M-DVS R2.0
ASROCK H110M-DGS R2.0