Howto: BIOS-Update per bootable CD
BIOS Update per bootable CD under DOS
A guidance how to create a Boot-CD (which contains the Freeware version of Caldera DR-DOS v7.03) to perform a BIOS update.
The following tools are needed:
- CDBurnerXP - free CD-Burning software, Download from manufacturer's website
Attention: download the CDBurnerXP-Version without OpenCandy! (OpenCandy = Adware!)
- UltraISO - Trial version, Download from manufacturer's website
- Ultimate BIOS-Boot-Edition:
- drdos.img (the boot image file contains the 3 DR-DOS system files command.com, ibmbio.com und ibmdos.com)
download  Ultimate BIOS-Boot-Edition - 5.9MB
- Flashtool - an executable program (.EXE as file extension), which programs the BIOS file onto the BIOS-Chip, and the BIOS file must be downloaded:
- Mainboard, bought in its original box: from the mainboard manufacturer website, or
- Notebook or brand PC: from the notebook/brand PC manufacturer website.
Both files must be specially designed for the DOS Operation system! If the manufacturer offers only files for Windows, you have to risk the BIOS update either directly under Windows, or you can re-program your old BIOS-Chip, or purchase a new, programmed BIOS-Chip.
Instruction to create a bootable CD
- Tip: use - if possible - a rewritable CD-RW.
- Open the Ultimate BIOS-Boot-Edition and extract the boot image file (folder boot_cd) drdos.img.
- Install and start the Trial version of UltraISO.
- Open the boot image file drdos.img with UltraISO.
- Rename the filename of your flashtool and the BIOS file, if they have more than 8 characters (not the file extension!).
- Copy the flashtool and BIOS file (with Drag&Drop) to the other existing files (see picture).
- Save the boot image file and close UltraISO.
- Start CDBurnerXP and choose Data disc:
- In the CDBurnerXP main menu Disc choose the entry Boot options...
- In the following window (see picture) enable the checkbox Make disc bootable and insert the path to your boot image file drdos.img.
- Change the Emulation type to Floppy 2.88MB.
- Click the OK-Button to close this window.
- Now you can use Ctrl+B to burn the CD.
Starting the BIOS-Update from CD-ROM
First, go into your BIOS-Setup and change the Bootsequence to CD-ROM (search for an option like Bootsequence, First Boot Device, or something similarly).
Insert the CD and restart your PC. If all went well - DR-DOS starts and you can see the famous DOS-Prompt (A:\>).
Now you can start the BIOS update, but remember: you can't backup your old BIOS version onto a CD! But if your harddisk has a FAT16- or FAT32 partition, it would be a good idea to copy your 2 BIOS files to this partition, and to start the update/backup from your harddisk.
biosflash 21.Nov.2015 09:55
A new chip should be your last chance, because i dont see any other solution.
sslinux 21.Nov.2015 09:09
Hi , I did everything and there is a blank screen again and again.. pc works , screen doesn't show up.. cd trying to read but nothing happens.. The reason I'm trying to do this I update the wrong version of bios.. tried ps/2 keyboard it doesn't work.. What I should do after this ? Do I need to change the bios chip ?
Jim 2.Oct.2015 22:19
When I try to drag my 4mb flash/rom file the system says the "disk image is full" so I cannot add the files I need.
Christoballer 8.May.2015 00:15
IF you are receiving the hresult error that HARA Mo mentions above, download and run the portable free version of deep burner. Worked like a charm for me.
biosflash 11.Apr.2015 09:34
Rik 11.Apr.2015 07:41
This does not work my freaking bios file is 16,384kb the iso image programs says the disc is full wtf so how can i do this?
biosflash 6.Mar.2015 09:41
Don't insert date + time, press ENTER. You can also try another keyboard.
Rodger Grady 6.Mar.2015 09:35
I was able to make the disc and booted fine. Then it asked me to put in the date and time. The numb lock doesn't work and nither do the fkeys. What do I do know??
hdh 26.Feb.2015 03:45
@Hara Mo, @palxgr : Same problem here as well. This really sucks.
palxgr 11.Jan.2015 14:47
@Hara Mo I have the same problem. Were you able to resolve it? P
BIOS Beeps BIOS Boot CD BIOS Boot Diskette BIOS Boot Logo BIOS Boot USB Stick BIOS Chip installation removal BIOS Chip Type list CMOS Reset BIOS ID BIOS Passwords BIOS Software Tools 3. Start the BIOS Update 4. BIOS Update failed? BIOS Update Howto BIOS Update HowTo 2. Choose Update method 1. Preparation BIOS Updates, Drivers, Manuals, etc. Online Shop Links to biosflash
ACER ASPIRE T180
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE
ACER ASPIRE E380
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
ACER ASPIRE L5100
ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4
ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA
ASUS M5A99X EVO
ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE
ASROCK 870 EXTREME3 R2.0
ASUS P8P67 LE
ASROCK X99 TAICHI
ASROCK Q170M VPRO+
ASROCK Q170M VPRO
ASROCK H170M PRO4S
ASROCK H170M PRO4
ASROCK H170 PRO4S
ASROCK H170 PRO4/HYPER
ASROCK H170 PRO4/D3
ASROCK H170 PRO4
ASROCK H170 COMBO
ASROCK H110M-DVS R2.0
ASROCK H110M-DGS R2.0